Simply put, premature aging is the occurrence of aging signs earlier than the supposed aging standard. It is when we look older than our chronological age. As we all know, the aging process is inevitable, it will surely come. Experiencing the signs of aging such as wrinkles, hair loss, fine lines, skin dryness, and age spots earlier than we should is what premature aging is all about. Seeing the signs of aging at the early stage of our life gives us major concerns especially the feeling of insecurity that we look older than our peers. In this article, we will talk about the causes of premature aging as well as ways to prevent premature aging.
Causes of Premature Aging
In most cases, the occurrence of premature aging is vivid on the skin. Some of the causes include the following;
- Exposure to Sunlight: having direct contact with the sun causes problems to the skin such as itchy skin and wrinkles. The sun emits ultraviolet rays which can cause the skin to age earlier than normal and also cause damage to the DNA cells. Excessive exposure to sun rays increases the risk of skin cancer.
- Alcohol Consumption: excessive alcohol intake causes constant urine which makes the body dehydrated leaving the skin dry when the skin has to be moisturized and lubricated. Alcohol intake also leaves the skin saggy and might lose its shape.
- Inadequate Balanced Diet: the food we eat not only affects us internally but also shows in our physical appearance. Consuming too many carbohydrate foods, high intake of sugar, and fatty foods can affect the skin. Also, consuming fried foods poses a lot of damage to the skin. When foods are being fried, it loses their water contents thereby making them absorb fats and hindering the moisture that your skin needs.
- Using the wrong skincare product: there are many skin care products for different skin types. Not all products can suit your skin. If you use the wrong one, it will cause some effects on your skin, some of which include wrinkles, spots, dark eye circles, and many more.
- Drug Abuse: misusing drugs can cause damage to the abuser’s skin. Drug abusers tend to use varieties of skin care products, take in too much of substances which can change the appearance of the skin, and causes the skin to go dry and dull. Some substances when misused can cause bloodshot eyes and wrinkles and also make the skin lose its elasticity.
- Rubbing Eyes Constantly: the eye is one of the most sensitive parts of the body. Rubbing the eyes continuously can make the muscles around the eyes weaker which can cause dark eye circles and fine lines.
- Not Getting Enough Sleep: Sleeping helps in renewing and repairing the skin. When you don’t get enough sleep, you will probably be stressed out which can cause breakout to occur on your skin. Not getting enough sleep can result in not being healthy which in turn will make you age earlier than normal.
Preventing Premature Aging
The factor that causes premature aging can be easily controlled and prevented if good habits are imbibed and bad habits are discarded. Some of the preventive measures include:
- Maintain a Healthy Diet: Eating more fruits and vegetables can help improve skin tone. They are also rich in vitamins which can help reduce wrinkles and helps in blood circulation which can improve the overall complexion of your skin.
- Use Sunscreen Protection: the sun can affect the complexion of the skin and can cause the body to age over time. Protecting the skin from direct sunlight with the help of sunscreen can help you maintain your youthful look.
- Avoid Self Medication and Hard Drugs: most drugshave harmful side effects when misused. Some of the side effects can cause premature aging. Also, taking hard drugs like caffeine, and marijuana among others can lead to premature aging. The best way is to visit medical professionals to prescribe drugs for you when you are un-well.
- Limit Stress: you can limit your stress by practicing meditation and exercising regularly.
- Avoid the Use of Harsh Chemicals on Your Skin: be watchful of the skin products you use and also ensure you know your skin type before using any skin product.
- Reduce Alcohol Intake: try reducing the level of alcohol you consume. This will go a long way in preventing premature aging.